Coastal Zone Engineering & Management
Our team of coastal engineers, geomorphologists, ecologists, and planners develop multi-benefit solutions to complex coastal issues.
We are leading efforts throughout the West Coast and Gulf Coast to address the increasing vulnerability of our shores, infrastructure, and communities, adapting to sea-level rise, sediment, and shoreline change. We identify sources and sinks of sediment and the transport pathways to reduce beach erosion, developing fine-tuned regional sediment management plans.
At specific sites, we design innovative soft shore protection, as well as traditional shoreline construction and armoring. We are pioneering designs for nature-based solutions to flood and erosion protection, often referred to as “living shorelines.” We have also designed some of the most notable managed shoreline retreat projects on the West Coast, including Surfer’s Point and Pacifica Beach, which use natural processes to minimize coastal hazards and maximize recreational opportunities.
Related specialties and services:
- Circulation and water quality modeling
- Coastal hazard mapping and flood management studies
- Coastal levees, dredging, revetments, beach nourishment
- Coastal and estuarine restoration
- Regional sediment management plans
- Restoration and management of river mouths, wetlands, coastal lagoons, and beaches
- Sea-level rise vulnerability and adaptation assessments
- Shoreline erosion assessment and management
- Shoreline management plans
- Wave modeling and analysis